Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Ayyappa Masagi: Unedited material collected for Effective People by Prof TV RAO


Unsung Heroes
Ayyappa Masagi




Water scarcity has been a menace in the lives of many city dwellers and for farmers it has been a torture to their daily livelihood. India has been endowed naturally with many rivers but the irresponsible manner of water consumption and wastage has deteriorated the condition. Compounding to these practices has been the vagaries of the monsoon. Ayyappa Masagi a technologist, a farmer, a social activist is harvesting every drop of water to replenish the subsurface water level in villages as well as cities.
Education broadens the horizons of thoughts. For Ayyappa education was a luxury. Born in the Gadag district of Northern Karnataka to humble and poor farmer parents, his father was not in support of him going to school. It is his mothers’ insistence and persistence that enabled him to go to school. She even sold her only gold ear rings to fund him for school. Ayyappa Masagi never broke the trust entrusted by her mother. He excelled in all level of education and got himself admitted to an Industrial Training Institute. Due to administrative lapses, he got into fitter course in place of Electrician`s course. He joined BEML, and later while he was working with L n T he completed his diploma in mechanical engineering and a course on Quality control, where his managers were his classmates. By the virtue of coming from a humble background he understood the virtue of saving and conserving resources always and through his efforts he saved two crore rupees at LnT by using scrap material.
An agrarian family is where he belonged from, and from childhood he had seen his parents practice water conservation at home as well as in agriculture. “As a farmer’s son, I had the dream of applying Science and technology for rural development.”  While working in LnT, in the year 1994, he purchased six acres of land in Veerapur village in Gadag district and started his innovative practices of agriculture. “I wanted to prove to everyone that Rain forest crops like coffee, rubber, etc. can be grown in the Deccan Plateau, popularly known as Bayalu Seeme and also prove that more crops can be grown with whatever rain happens in that particular rain despite of flood or famine.” Ayyapa Masagi started off well, with good crops blessed due to regular rains. Next year, there was severe drought and his crops failed. The following year it was the other extreme and there was a severe flood. “The floods engulfed my entire farm and I had to take shelter on a tree for an entire night.” Ayyappa Masagi was not the one to give up. He had embarked on a journey with the mission to make India water sufficient and he was determined to achieve it. He was too strong willed a person to give up. He saw opportunity in the floods!! He thought why not collect all these flood water and conserve it for the subsequent years. Bizzare as it may sound he started working on it.
Ayyapa Masagi reached to experts in this field like Rajendar singh and innovated Borewell recharging technique. Till then he knew about rain water harvesting technique only. Borewell recharging technique became an answer to harvesting rain water and send rain water directly to ground water table. Traditional Rain water harvesting techniques systems do not have an answer to surplus rain water and follow percolation method; where rain water percolates into the layers of the earth and takes significant time before reaching the ground water table.
He had opened up a new dimension to conserving water and he turned his own piece of land into a research lab. He implemented the innovative technique, and non irrigational agricultural technique learnt from his father, into his land, he got good crops in back to back years. He was not happy. The urge to help farmers at large made him restless. He spread the message of his successful innovation and how it helped in agriculture.  Slowly he started practicing his techniques on the lands of his neighbors’ and relatives and he received tremendous results. This gave him confidence and he went on to conduct awareness campaigns, sensitizing the people about the new technique. He started conducting workshops and writing books to spread the knowledge.
Ayyappa Masagi was doing great and more and more people recognized the benefits of his work and approached him. Till then, he was also working with LnT.  He could no longer strike a balance between his job, social service and family, hence against popular wisdom and to the criticism of his wife his relatives and especially his wife, he quit LnT. This was indeed a hard and selfless decision to make considering the fact, that he had three girls and one son whose education was not complete and he was not financially strong at that point. Ayyappa Masagi continued his work irrespective of the consequences of his actions on his family, and it is at Ardeshanahalli village near Doddaballapur that he got his biggest success. The water table in a  2 KM radius had been contaminated by the effluents from one of the pharmaceuticals company who  let the contaminated water into the dry borewells thinking that dry borewells are dead. Ayyappa through borewell recharging technique converted the contaminated water into potable water within a short span and this attracted the attention of Rajendra Singh-the waterman of India. Ayyappa was ot deterred by any criticism and he had helped change many lives, seeing his good work, Ashoka:Innovators for the public approached him gave him a fellowship. He was offered thirty thousand per month for three years. This took care to a large extent his financial worries. Through the collaboration and guidance of Ashoka organization, Ayyappa Masagi started the Water literacy Foundation in 2005. Before this he was working alone to solve all the problems; but now he had a team and this enabled him to reach people and industrial organizations that were benefitting from his result oriented projects.
Starting a noble cause is one thing but sustaining it financially is another. Financial support for his cause had been a major challenge for him. To overcome this, Ayyappa joined hands with funding agencies like Deshpande Foundation, Swiss AID, NABARD, Nazeersab Institute of Rural Development Foundation, and others to help farmer brethren.  Realizing the need to make Water Literacy Foundations’ work self sustaining he founded, Rain Water Concepts private limited (RWC). RWC is a for profit organization and works for the industries, apartments, villas,  and the profits earned from these works are transferred to Water Literacy Foundation who work for helping the farmers.
Ayyapa Masagi believes in the words of Mahatma Gandhi. “If the villages perish India will perish too. India will be no more India”.  Ayyappa Masagi believes that every Indian, should be contributing to the society; either through hard work or grants. Ayyappa believes in action rather than long drawn up plans. “If you have some good idea in your mind for the betterment of the society then do not spend too much of time in implementing, Just Do It! We will receive support from all corners because god helps those who help themselves.” Ayyappa Masagi embarked on this journey riddled with difficulties; but through sheer determination, ability to work hard and selflessness he has achieved results. The task is not yet completed as he intends to make India water efficient by 2020. For this mission he requires more and more farmers to adopt his practices. His aim is to conduct more and more workshops to train water warriors like him.
Ayyappa Masagi has shared his innovation with others for a larger cause. He urges youth of today to spare some thought for Mother Nature, to plant more trees, consume water prudently and help in environmental development in any matter that is possible. “It is youth who holds the key to development; they can make or break a country.”
 Ayyappa Masagi has been one of the success stories who have not been dithered in his pursuit to make the country water efficient by obstacles. His has taken the criticism of his wife, relatives, and others positively and it is this criticism that keeps him motivated. His strong determination, selflessness and use of subject knowledge for societal development is an epitome for someone who desires to make a change.
·         Words in apostrophe commas are of the person himself.
Excerpts of the interviews conducted by Debangshu Bhattacherjee with the person over the internet
1.      What has been your inspiration in making a difference to the lives of others? What are the sources of inspiration?  (If you like you may mention any one or two instances that changed your life and made you start something new or something different that laid the foundation for your work).
Answer: I was born on June’1st, 1957 to Sri. Mahadevappa and Srimati Parvatevva Masagi, a humble and poor farmers’ of Nagaral Village, Gadag District, North Karnataka as the eldest son. 
Despite of poverty and against father’s will for my studies, I continued studies with mother’s help who sold gold for my education, and always stood among toppers throughout my educational career. I completed Diploma in Mechanical Engineering and joined BEML, Bangalore as a Mechanical Engineer before joining L & T Komatsu where I served for over 23 years. During my tenure at L & T, my hard work earned me regular promotions.
From childhood I advocated and practiced water conservation which I learnt from my parents who practiced techniques at home as well as in agriculture. As a farmer’s son, I had the dream of applying Science and Technology for rural development. Guided by this dream, while still working with L & T, I purchased 6 Acres of land in Veerapur Village in Gadag District which I transformed into an R & D site. I wanted to prove to everyone that Rain forest crops like coffee, rubber, etc. can be grown in Deccan Plateau, popularly known as Bayalu Seeme and also prove that more crops can be grown with what ever rain happens in that particular rain despite of flood or famine.
The first 2 years of farming were highly successful due to regular rains. However, in the subsequent years, North Karnataka faced a severe drought and my crops dried up. Un deterred by this minor setback and mockery by neighbors and relatives and my wife (who called me Danda Pinda or waste fellow), I continued farming. But to my dismay the following year it was severe floods that not only destroyed my crops again but the flood engulfed my entire farm and I had to take shelter on a tree for one entire night. If it was any other human being, he would have stopped farming and continued his city life. But my will power was too strong to give up for such setbacks. Seeing positive in this negative situation, I thought that 2 years severe drought and now flood; when needed water there was none and when not needed, water everywhere. Why not conserve this rainwater to balance this difference and save farmers lives and crops and in general make India a Water Efficient Nation?”
I went on to research various advanced water conservation techniques, met water experts like Sri. Anna Hazareji and Sri. Rajendrasingh and finally innovated borewell recharging technique (Before borewell recharging technique, I knew only roof rain water harvesting).
Borewell recharging became an answer to harvesting every possible drop of rain water and send rain water directly to Ground Water Table unlike traditional RWH systems which do not have an answer to surplus rain water and follow percolation method where rain water percolates into the Earth layers and takes significant time before reaching the Ground water table.
Powered by borewell recharging and non-irrigational agricultural techniques and with the blessings of my parents, I obtained assured crops in back to back years by fighting flood and famine. This success was just the beginning. I was a restless and tireless man as my vision and mission were to make India a Water Efficient Nation and help farmers as they are the worst affected in India.
I started spreading message about borewell recharging and non-irrigational agricultural techniques and how they benefit the farmers. My test on neighboring farmers and relatives’ farms too turned successful which gave me the confidence to reach wider mass. With the success of every water and agriculture related project, I never looked back. Conducting awareness campaigns, sensitizing the common people, training programs, workshops, writing news paper articles/books and implementing projects became my routine.
Until then, I was working as a One Man Army and called myself as a Water Warrior, and helping farmers with non-irrigational agricultural practice and urban residents with roof top rain water harvesting and borewell recharging. All this service was being rendered by me during weekends when I was still working with L & T. As more and more people started approaching me, I could not balance between L & T job, family and my social service. I was perplexed whether to continue with L & T enjoying the city comforts or find profound happiness by serving the nation. When I introspected, I chose the harder path of dedicating my life to making India a Water Efficient Nation and dedicated all my time and energy on water conservation for rural, urban and industrial India.
This decision was severely criticized by my relatives, friends and particularly my wife who called me as Danda Pinda which means waste fellow in Kannada. She had a reason to call me so because I had the responsibility of giving good education to our 3 girls and a boy and marriage of those 3 girls. I had left L & T when I was still not financial strong to fulfill these responsibilities. I did not budge and continued my mission.
My biggest success came in the form of a project at Ardeshanahalli Village near Doddaballapur. Prior to my intervention, the water table in 2 KM radius had been contaminated as one of the pharmaceuticals company and let the contaminated water into the dry borewells thinking that dry borewells are dead. I through borewell recharging techniques miraculously converted the contaminated water into potable in a very short span. This project was so successful and famous that Sri. Rajendrasingh came down from Rajasthan to witness the impact. During the seminar, I expressed my hardships about choosing this path and owed the success to my parents for their love and teachings and my wife whose criticizing words rather than demotivating me motivated further.
Next day after the seminar, representatives of Ashoka – Innovators for the Public came in search of me to congratulate me for such a wonderful project and console me for the abuse I suffered and very importantly uplift me financially. They expressed their interest to give Ashoka Fellowship to continue this mission and not stop my selfless work at any cost. They financially supported me by paying a fellowship of Rs. 30,000 / month for 3 years. This helped a lot in taking care of my kids education and family commitments.
Over the period of time, Ashoka organization felt that I can reach more and more people if I start an NGO. They gave all the necessary training which enabled me to start Water Literacy Foundation in the year 2005.
I recruited like minded and able employees which enabled me to reach far more farmers, urban residents and industries. Reputed companies and organizations like Kennametal Widia, Ajax Fiori, SKF Engineering, ISKCON Akshay Patre, Basel Mission School, etc. became my customers and benefited from my result oriented projects.
Apart from customer funded projects, I joined hands with funding agencies like Deshpande Foundation, Swiss AID, NABARD, Nazeersab Institute of Rural Development Foundation, etc. to help farmer brethren.
With year on year, customers’ list increased which included individual house customers to gated communities to educational institutes to industries to farmers.
In the 2008, Ashoka organization again approached me and consulted me about starting a For-Profit organization to financially boost WLF as depending on funding agencies is not so appropriate for the sustainable growth of WLF and my goal of reaching more and more people. Realizing the importance and need of a For-Profit company, Rain Water Concepts (I) Pvt. Ltd. was launched in 2008.
Both RWC and WLF work on Cross-Subsidy Model. RWC focuses mostly on gated communities like apartments, villas and layouts and industries. The profit earned would be utilized to fund WLF activities.

2.      What are the challenges that you faced while starting your initiative and what are the current challenges that you are facing now?
Answer: Challenge 1: As mentioned in the 1st answer, nobody came forward to take my innovative service that was the result of years and years of research and development – either they had no belief in the working of the innovation or they were not interested and thought it would be a waste of money.

Challenge 2:    When I decided  to quit my high paying corporate job for the full time water conservation and upliftment of farmer brethren, I drew severe criticism from friends, relatives and particularly my wife who called me ‘Danda Panda’ which means waste fellow in English. She had the reason to say so because when I decided t quite the corporate job, my financial status was not promising and I had the responsibility of educating and marrying 3 daughters and a son.

Challenge 3: The current challenge would be in reaching more and more needy people particularly farmers because India is predominantly an agriculture based country and farmers are the backbone of India.  To achieve this, we have been training more and more farmers, NGOs, and SHGs through awareness programs, workshops and instructional farms.

3.      What is your opinion on getting inspiration and using your talent for doing simple things that eventually become great and make a difference in the lives of others?
Answer: All the great things that have happened on Earth are the results of inspiration, idea, talent, hardwork, persistence, determination and dedication.
Inspiration is every where because world is full of champions and one needs to search for the inspiration that matches his or her dream. So in my opinion once an individual is inspired he/she should utilize all the talent, energy, time and resources in realizing the dream that makes a difference in the lives of others. Since this is Karma, eventually, he/she would become an inspiration to others.

4.      What do you consider as your own strong points that helped you to accomplish whatever you have been able to? When did you discover them? How? How did you cultivate them?
Answer: My strong points would be my simplicity, humbleness, sharing, extreme hardwork, high level of determination and risk taking which I inherited from my parents. I was the topper in education throughout my career; my primary and high school teachers found that my knowledge, service-before-self attitude and good oration skills would certainly make me a successful person in any field I ventured into.


5.      What in your opinion are some of the qualities that people need to cultivate to make a difference to others?
Answer: There are many lessons/qualities like,
(1) Mahatma Gandiji said “If the villages perish India will perish too. India will be no more India”. I learnt and have been practicing that every Indian should give back (either through grants or in-kind support or physical work) to the betterment of the society particularly farmer brethren.
(2) When you want to do something good, there are people who want to hold you back or worst destroy you; yet it is the sheer determination, hardwork and believing in self that would overcome all the obstacles.
(3) If you have some good idea in your mind for the betterment of the society then do not spend too much of time in implementing, Just Do It! We will receive support from all corners because god helps those who help themselves.
(4) In order to gain something we should be ready to loose something. And also when you loose something you will gain something.

6.      What in your opinion prevents successful people from making a contribution to the society?
Answer: In my opinion successful people in all walks of life have always been contributing to the society.
7.      What future scope do you have in mind for your work?
Answer: I visualize of making India a water efficient nation by 2020. This is a mammoth task and we need to train more and more water warriors who would inspire others and the network continues till whole India is covered under rain water harvesting.
8.      What messages would you like to give for others to be or to become an effective person?
Answer: Youth, you are very special because you are the PRESENT generation. You can make or break your country. The motto of this era has been “Earn Money”; Earn money, I am not against it. I wish all the best to you all to earn as much as you can, but at the same time, spare some time for the Nature; conserve water, plant trees or do whatever that will be positive to the environment. Our development should not be at the cost of nature’s damage. Please inculcate Self-motivation, Resourcefulness, Hard & Smart work attributes. Try to be innovative in whatever, wherever and whenever you do.
References: The following websites have been explored for the secondary research on Ayyapa Masagi
            Downloaded as on: 03.05.2015
5.      Other material provided by the person himself detailing his work.
6.      “ Unsung Beacons ” by CSIM Publications


No comments:

Post a Comment