Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Mr. Thomas Raja : Unedited material collected for Effective People by T V Rao

Mr. Thomas Raja
“The real journey of life is the journey within.” This statement speaks about the distance one covers to discover the true meaning of life. There is always a point of transition in one’s life, after which the person starts relating his actions to his objective. This story talks about such a transformation phase in Mr. Thomas Raja’s life.
A large section of India’s population is poverty ridden. Though some people do give it a thought to help this backward mass, only a few of them originate any actions. T. Raja is one among that selected chunk of people who have taken initiatives to help these underprivileged people. He shelters around 350 destitute in his own trust, named New Ark Mission of India in the Doddagubbi village. He founded this trust with the help from some Christian missionaries in 1997. He picks up people who are starving, stinking, with fatal diseases like AIDS, cancer, mental diseases etc and who are not wanted and touched by any one, lying unattended in the roads. The number of such handpicked persons from the city of Bangalore has reached the count of 450 now and on an average, the overall count of such persons in the last 18 years is found to be around 4000. The aim of this Home of Hope organization is to rescue the lives of the homeless ones.
When asked about his early phases of life, he elaborates,” My native place is Tamil Nadu. We came to Karnataka 50 years before and my father had a service in the telephone department. After his retirement, we went back to Tamil Nadu. We were a very happy family. My father used to facilitate my studies, but I was never interested in studies. I had become a thief and I used to enjoy with my friends from the money I stole. In an early age, I got into the habits of smoking and drinking. My lifestyle was becoming worse. I sold my mother’s mangalsutra and used the money to drink and watch movies with my friends. My parents used to cry because of me and they wished I was never born. My parents didn’t like me. They used to hide food from me and curse me because of my activities. They always asked me not to return home. There was no one to care of me. I always thought, I was right and then one day I left my home. I lived on footpath, bridges, railway station, bus stand, near garbage and where not. I also lived with street dogs. I went to Chennai. There also I did the same wrong thing. There was a poor family who gave me shelter and in return I cheated them. I robbed them and was caught. People beat me but I managed to run from there.
After some days, I was caught by police. I was sent to jail at an age of 16. In jail, the life was very miserable. We used to wear the same clothes for several days. There were other criminals who misused the boys for homo sexuality. The prison resembled hell. I lost my hope and became sick. I thought I might die there. There was no one to take care of me. One day I cried, sitting in the middle of 300 people, closing my eyes and praying God to save me as I knew my parents are too far to come for my rescue. I confessed all my sins to God and prayed to forgive me and to heal my pain and I promised that I will change. Then, surprisingly, I started recovering from my illness. I felt relieved and I thought it was a miracle. I wished if I could move out of the prison before Christmas. I wanted to go to my home and meet my parents. Then one fine morning, I was astonished to find my parents looking for me in the jail. They came to know about me by receiving a message from someone and then they took me out of the prison by paying the fine amount in court. I apologized to my parents. I bought an auto rickshaw with the help of my parents and started driving.
After spending some time as an auto driver, Raja realized something, which changed his entire life. He could feel sympathy for those poor and about to die people lying beside the roads. While some of those unattended fellows were thrown out of their houses, some others were disowned by their families, like Raja was, once upon a time. He said, “I saw hundreds of people lying on the road in miserable conditions. They didn’t have food, clothes or any money with them. I wondered what I could do with them. No one was there to help them. People used to run away from them because of the bad odour coming out from them.”
The sight of these impoverished people, made him think that they should be dealt with patience and should be rehabilitated in proper ways. He could relate them with himself and thus he thought they can improve if only they can be given better opportunities. For a long time he had to stay away from his home and family to serve these people. Though it was pretty challenging for him, still he couldn’t abandon these people for whom he was the only hope. So, with a motto to bring a difference in their lives, he took one of these persons home. With limited income to feed his own family, he knew he couldn’t provide many facilities to this deprived person, but he had significant trust on God which made him hope that someday he will be able to provide them a better living. He was often criticized by his neighbors for bringing these poor people home. He explained about the situation, “I thought of Mother Teresa at that time. I started feeding them. One day I saw a man lying naked. He had nothing to eat. From that day onwards, I started taking these people to my own house. Initially I took 2-3 people; my parents started scolding me. They thought I was mad and also they felt I was creating a scene in the society. I used to go to people, explained them about my service and asked them for donations.”
It was then that a person named SR Manohar gave him ten thousand rupees and asked him to take a house on rent. Then gradually the Marwari and Jain communities extended hands of support to him by financially helping him and assisting the poor ones to access medical care. In the recent time, Raja stays in the same campus of the Home of Hope with his family and inmates and today he is called the daddy of Home of Hope, for which he is very happy. The personal touch that Raja provides to these inmates coupled with the donations that Home of Hope receives are responsible for the healthy living of these poor fellows. The sources of funds were then collected from The India Campus Crusade for Christ and HD Kumaraswamy, the former Chief Minister of Karnataka and so on. The CM also gave him a land and a building. Thus he figured out the idea of Home of Hope. By that time he was popularly named as Auto Raja.
There are many people whose lives are transformed in Home of Hope. Raja quotes about a woman Bano, who is now a resident. He says about the efforts they had to put to heal her open wounds and scars and he mentions that the same woman is leading a much better life now. Regarding the source, from which he knows about these poor people, he explains, Initially, I used to drive auto rickshaw in the city and through that I came to know about these people. When the organization (New ark mission) was set up to help these people, our mission was to give them bath, food, shelter, clothes and medicine. We also engage them in works like gardening, cleaning etc when they became physically fit for the same. The media people helped me; they put a helpline number so these kinds of needy people can contact me directly. They gave me a lot of publicity. They also contacted me when they got any information about any old or sick person lying on the streets. Now I don’t even go to rescue. The police and Government hospitals bring these people to the rehabilitation centre. I am going to Tumkur city tomorrow to rescue 40-50 people who are lying on the streets near Siddaganga mutt. The local police have asked me to take them. Also, every month 10-15 people die in our home. Before dying, we fulfill their last wish. They ask for chicken kebab or ice-cream. We fulfill their wish if we are able to.”
Raja knows about these poor people on streets via the Bangalore Police. He reaches the areas where these people are located with the help of ‘Dial 108’ ambulance emergency services. Sometimes, these people are bought by some persons who are aware about the organization. Raja has been appreciated at several forums and media for his commendable job. He was featured in numerous newspapers and was nominated by NDTV for his exceptional social work. He even received the IBN Real Heroes Award.
Some common challenges that Raja faces include the earning of donations or financial help to assist children of the organization to attend schools, to meet expenses on basic requirements of these poor persons like their food, medical requirements, clothing etc. The expenditures on these inmates amount to around six lakhs rupees per month. He says, “There were too many problems at the start. No one was helping me. My parents and wife used to scold me and thought I was mad. I used to clean and feed people in the home on my own. When I used to go out to rescue people, my wife used to give Rs 100 to the in-house people and would ask them to leave. Currently the average monthly expense to operate is 6-8 lakhs. I don’t receive any support from the government. They have not provided me any food or money. I only get support from public i.e. donations. “
The other notable hurdle the organization comes across is dealing with patients who are mentally retarded. They are difficult to be taken care of. Often they become violent and aggressive and thus cause difficulties for the fellow inmates. There can be some other challenges where the family members of the destitute go against the organization, file complain against it and even force the poor persons to leave the place. For example once, a well established railway official was abandoned by his daughter, who stole his entire wealth. He was then brought to the Home, but soon his daughter came to the organization to take him with her. He refused. As a result, the daughter filed a complaint against the organization of kidnapping her father.
Raja talks about his inspiration that drives him. He says, “I am more satisfied by doing this social service. I feel happy when the people are rehabilitated and their happiness is reflected on their face. As per Mother Teresa, “When I serve the poor people, I see the God in their face”. Similarly when we open our hearts to the needy people, our sin will be washed and our life will become bright. I asked God to use me as an instrument for him.” When asked about his strong points that helped him to accomplish whatever he has have been able to he replies “I am deeply inspired by Mother Teresa's service to the destitute. I myself was wandering in the streets of Bangalore city. I used to sleep on the roadside and at railway stations. I had the experience of street life. So, while driving auto, I used to see the people lying on the road side and I recollected my past life. And then I asked God, why can't I take these people to my home and give care. Naturally, once we start the work, it will be carried smoothly. We should have commitment, compassion and patience while caring for such destitute people. We should always have love in and fear from God. In my opinion, we should set an example for others in the society. Dedication, Compassion, Sacrifice and Hard work are the main qualities an individual should have to do charity. Sometimes, I have to work hard for 24 hrs continuously without rest. I don’t rely on staffs to do my work. No matter what the work is, I will do it myself. I clean the bathroom, I drive the vehicle, and I dump the garbage. Hard work is very important.”
Raja’s message to the society is, “You should love the neglected and thrown outs from the families. When we travel and see these people, we should think that they are our country men. It’s my responsibility to help them in any manner I can. We should not wait for another Mother Teresa or Mahatma Gandhi to come to our country and serve the people. We should become like Mother Teresa or Mahatma Gandhi and serve the people.”
Hence, it is evident from the story of Mr. T. Raja that, your past can’t stop your future. The scopes are widespread. All you need to do is to grab the right opportunity to move forward and to establish a distinct identity. Instead of just waiting for the right moment, one should start investing in the moment to make it perfect. A thousand kilometers can be voyaged beginning with a single step. Standing out of the crowd is one thing that not everyone can do. The ones who can dare to rise over the selfish desires are the true heroes our nation requires.



Primary Source: Telephonic Interview of Mr. T. Raja conducted on 8th May.
1.       What inspired to do whatever you have done for making a difference to others? What are the sources of inspiration?  (If you like you may mention any one or two instances that changed your life and made you start something new or something different that laid the foundation for your work)?
My native place is Tamil Nadu. We came to Karnataka 50 years before and my father had a service in the telephone department. After his retirement, we went back to Tamil Nadu. We were a very happy family. My father used to facilitate my studies, but I was never interested in studies. I had become a thief and I used to enjoy with my friends from the money I stole. In an early age, I got into the habits of smoking and drinking. My lifestyle was becoming worse. I sold my mother’s mangalsutra and used the money to drink and watch movies with my friends. My parents used to cry because of me and they wished I was never born. My parents didn’t like me. They used to hide food from me and curse me because of my activities. They always asked me not to return home. There was no one to care of me. I always thought, I was right and I left my home. I lived on footpath, bridges, railway station, bus stand, near garbage and where not. I also lived with street dogs. I went to Chennai. There also I did the same wrong thing. There was a poor family who gave me shelter and in return I cheated them. I robbed them and was caught. People beat me but I managed to run from there.
One day I was caught by police. I was sent to jail at an age of 16. In jail, the life was very miserable. We used to wear the same clothes for several days. There were other criminals who misused the boys for homo sexuality. The prison resembled hell. I lost my hope and became sick. I thought I will die there. There was no one to take care of me. One day I cried, sitting in the middle of 300 people, closing my eyes and praying God to save me as I knew my parents are too far to come. I confessed all my sins to God and prayed to forgive me and to heal my pain and I promised that I will change. Then, surprisingly, I started recovering from my illness. I was relieved and I thought it was a miracle. I wished if I could move out of the prison before Christmas. I wanted to go to my home and meet my parents. Before Christmas, my parents came to the jail on receiving some message and took me out of the prison by paying the fine amount in court. I apologized to my parents. I bought an auto rickshaw with the help of my parents and started driving. I saw hundreds of people lying on the road in miserable conditions. They didn’t have food, clothes or any money with them. I wondered what I could do with them. No one was there to help them. People used to run away from them because of the bad odour coming out from them. I thought of Mother Teresa at that time. I started feeding them. One day I saw a man lying naked. He had nothing to eat. From that day onwards, I started taking these people to my own house. Initially I took 2-3 people; my parents started scolding me. They thought I was mad and also they felt I was creating a scene in the society. I used to go to people, explained them about my service and asked them for donations. It was in 1997 after many months of my service, one man named S.R. Manohar gave me ten thousand rupees to get a house for rent. After that, I took a house on rent and started my service with 13 people.

2.       How does your organization work for the welfare for the society (please give some activities or programs done) and how does it benefit them.

Initially, I used to drive auto rickshaw in the city and through that I come to know about these people. When the organization (New ark mission) was set up to help these people, our mission was to give them bath, food, shelter, clothes and medicine. We also engage them in works like gardening, cleaning etc once they became physically fit for the same.

The media people helped me; they put a helpline number so these kinds of needy people can contact me directly. They gave me a lot of publicity. They also contacted me when they got any information about any old or sick person lying on the streets.

Now I don’t even go to rescue, the police and government hospitals bring these people to the rehabilitation centre. I am going to Tumkur city tomorrow to rescue 40-50 people who are lying on the streets near Siddaganga mutt. Their local police station has called me and asked me to take them.

Also, every month 10-15 people die in our home. Before dying, we fulfil their last wish. They ask for chicken kebab or ice-cream. We fulfil their wish if we are able to.

3.       What are the challenges that you faced while working on your initiative? (Can you share some incidents)

There were too many problems at the start. No one was helping me. My parents and wife use to scold me and thought me as mad. I use to clean and feed people I my home.
When I used to go out to rescue people, my wife used to give Rs 100 to the in-house people and asked them to leave.

Currently the average monthly expense to operate is 6-8 lakhs. I don’t receive any support from the government. They have not provided me any food or money. I only get support from public i.e. donations.

4.       What is your opinion on getting inspiration and using your talent for doing simple things that eventually become great and make a difference in the lives of others?
I am more satisfied by doing this social service. I feel happy when the people being rehabilitated and see their happiness on the face.
As per Mother Teresa, “When I serve the poor people, I see the god in their face”. Similarly when we open our heart to the needy people our sin will be washed and our life will be bright. I asked God to use me as an instrument for him and use me.

5.       What do you consider as your own strong points that helped you to accomplish whatever you have been able to? When did you discover them? How? How did you cultivate them?

I have been inspired by Mother Teresa's service to the destitute. I myself was wondering in the streets of Bangalore city. I used to sleep on the roadside and at railway station. I had the experience of street life. So, while driving auto I used to see the people lying on the road side and I recollected my past life. And then I asked God, why can't I take these people to my home and give care. Then I started picking up one by one and gave them care and shelter. So, from last 18 years I am doing this service. By the Grace of God and through the public donations I am able to do this service.

Naturally once we start the work, it will go on smoothly. And we should have commitment, compassion and patience while caring such destitute people.

6.       What in your opinion are some of the qualities that people need to cultivate to make a difference to others?
We should always have love and fear in god. In my opinion we should be an example to others in the society.
Dedication, Compassion, Sacrifice and Hard work are the main qualities any individual should have to do charity. Sometimes I have to work 24 hrs continuously without rest. I don’t rely on staff to do my work. No matter what the work is I will do it myself. I clean the bathroom, I drive the vehicle, and I dump the garbage. Hard work is very important.
7.       What messages would you like to give for others to be or to become an effective person?
You should love the neglected, thrown out from the families. When we travel and see these people, we should think that these are our country men. It’s my responsibility to help them in any manner I can.
We should not wait for one more Mother Teresa or Mahatma Gandhi to come to our country and serve the people. We should become like Mother Teresa or Mahatma Gandhi and serve the people.

Below are references from which the secondary data is collected on 4th May’15:

No comments:

Post a Comment